Sunday, October 10, 2021

 Update October 10, 2021: ( from Eric on Aaron, the first hand recipient,):

I wish y'all could have been there when Aaron got his hand. Today for him literally was a life changer. In fact for his parents as well. They are Christians. His mother was telling me how her first husband abandoned them when he was born because he refused to have anything to do with a cripple.

 She fought and prayed for 12 years to raise him. She was told that a non working prostheses would be $10,000 USD. He would need a new one yearly. That's more than they make in a year as it is.  Aaron has been telling her he didn't want a dead hand but one with moving fingers.

 So they looked guarded when we got there. I'm learning that's a normal Guatemalan response because so few people follow through on promises that they aren't sure they believe something good might happen.When I got the hand out they seemed really surprised. Then I showed it work and Aaron started getting a huge smile, his whole being changed.  I told him we might have to make some adjustments to get it to fit so don't worry if it doesn't fit first try. The guarded look again.

 So the cup was indeed to tight and  I told them we are OK, let's make this work. Ten minutes with the heat gun and Aaron's whole life changed. I taught him about how to use it, gave him his own screw driver to adjust the finger throw how HE liked it and we talked about needing to exercise and use his wrist muscles. He picked up big spools of thread, a tomato and then said he wanted more than anything to hold something he had in his room. He came out with his prize possession, a slingshot.  He isn't quite strong enough to really fire it now but he now is determined to make his wrist strong enough to use it. He could even pull it a little. 

 His mother said she is so incredibly happy. Was praising God for answered prayers and said she wantedto run outside and scream for joy. Both parents kept hugging him and he was hugging back. We were being hugged there were tears of joy shed. Then his mom said she wanted to pray and thank God for bringing us and the hand. She and her husband were praying fervently and the Spirit was very present! They were curious as to why? I explained that God had called me to serve people with needs like this. More praising God.   All from a crazy Gringo and a piece of plastic.

 Then they tell me of a family they know with a son who only has, I think, a thumb and index finger. He is about nine and has been so badly bullied over it he has dropped school and won't even leave his house. Chronically depressed and just stays in his room. Can I help?  God give me guidance but I've seen printed hands that are for this. We will get pictures and measurements and then talk to the designers.

Luckily we got out before the rain as this village for Aaron would not be accessible without 4wd in the rain. This other boy I believe is even further out and this is nor even a remote village!

 Your generosity helped bring this to pass! It was just over 1 1/2 months from idea to first hand delivered!


 

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment